Attractions and Excursions in Freeport Bahamas
Vacationers continue to flock to Grand Bahama Island for a mix of relaxation and adventure. With an enticing mix of history, unique attractions, and natural beauty, the island provides visitors with a wide array of choices. If you are wondering what to do in Freeport Bahamas on your upcoming trip, the choices are almost unlimited thanks to some ingenious planning.
A Look Into the History of Freeport
Freeport Bahamas has become a hub for tourism due to its close proximity to the United States and its focus as a visitor destination from its humble beginnings. According to word-guides.com, the city was initially proposed by a visionary American financier, Wallace Groves, in the 1950’s, who saw the potential for a great holiday center. In just a few short years, the city has boomed with hotels, casinos, restaurants, ecotourism, and a variety of Bahamas excursions aimed to suit just about anyone.
What to Do in Freeport Bahamas
Whether you prefer to be in the water or out, choices abound here, and this is just a short list of some of the Freeport Bahamas excursions that have become quite popular:
- Paradise Cove Beach Resort – Many vacationers get the false idea that they must be staying at a resort in order to use their facilities. This isn’t always the case in Freeport and Paradise Cove Beach Resort has an amazing day use package that allows you to use their beach, snorkel and kayak for a very reasonable price. The snorkeling here is very good making this is a popular Freeport excursion choice for tourists.
- Garden of the Groves – Nature lovers shouldn’t miss Garden of the Groves. Now certified as a Wildlife Habitat, this 12-acre garden of tropical plants and animals is a favorite stop for many tourists.
- Bahamian Brewery – Beer is very popular in the islands and Bahamian beer is not to be missed. Take this tour of the Bahamian Brewery that will show you everything from filtration to kegging to quality control. Don’t miss the tasting room!
- Port Lucaya Marketplace – Who doesn’t love to shop while on vacation? Whether you are in the market for unique Bahamian artisan materials or general souvenir fare, this massive marketplace has everything to suit your needs.
- Dolphin Swim in Freeport – Swimming with a dolphin is a long-standing dream for many, and you have the opportunity to make that dream come true in Freeport Bahamas with the unique UNEXSO Swim with the Dolphins experience. There are several different experiences to choose from that are appropriate for anyone at least 55″ in height, and the boat leaves right out of Freeport.
Tourism is thriving in Freeport Bahamas, and there is no shortage of Freeport excursions for the adventurist tourist or for those who just wish to relax and enjoy the sights. Whether your interests lie in history, the outdoors, or the vibrant nightlife, Freeport has something for everyone and is sure to deliver the vacation of a lifetime.